Chocolate Buttercream Cake
Celebrate your special milestone with this fun Chocolate Buttercream Number Cake. Decadent chocolate sponge, layers of silky buttercream & topped with your favourite Organic Times treats!
For instructions on how to make your number stencil and cut your cake – watch this video.
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) boiling water
- 3/4 cup (75g) Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups (250g) plain all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- Pinch of salt
- 170g (3/4 cup) Organic Times Salted Butter (room temperature )
- 1 cup (240g) raw sugar
- 3/4 cup (120g) Organic Times Rapadura Sugar
- 3 large eggs (room temperature )
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g Organic Times Salted Butter (room temperature )
- 2 cups (225g) Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF). Grease with butter x 2, 9-inch x 12-inch rectangle baking pans. Trace the bottom of the rectangle pans on baking paper, cut it out and line the base of both pans with the baking paper. Lightly dust the sides with cocoa powder, tap off excess and set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, add cocoa powder and pour over boiling water. Whisk until cocoa has dissolved. Set aside to come to room temperature. In a separate mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and baking powder. Whisk through salt and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add room temperature butter and both sugars. You may also use an electric hand beater with a large mixing bowl. Beat butter and sugars on medium speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and beat on a low speed until combined, about 20 seconds.
- Add half the flour mixture to the bowl and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour in half the liquid cocoa mixture and continue to beat on low speed until just combined.
- Repeat with remaining flour mixture and then the remaining cocoa mixture. Mixing the batter on a medium speed until well combined, ensuring not to over-mix.
- Divide batter equally between the 2 baking pans.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove cakes from pans and transfer them to wire racks to cool completely, leaving the bottom baking paper sheet on both cakes. This makes it easier for you to move the cakes when cooled and to cut out the numbers.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, add room temperature butter. You may also use an electric hand beater with a large mixing bowl.
- Beat butter for a few seconds until smooth.
- Add half of the sugar and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scraping down the sides as needed.
- Add the remaining sugar along with the vanilla and milk. Beat until smooth and creamy. The consistency should hold its shape without being too dry. Add another tablespoon of milk if needed.
- Spoon frosting into a piping bag fitted with a round 1-inch opening piping nozzle. Set aside.
- Take a piece of A4 paper and cut it to the size of the same rectangle pans you baked the cakes in.
- Trace the numbers 2 & 1 out on the piece of A4 paper. Cut the numbers out so you will have stencils of the numbers 2 and 1.
- Creating two lots of the number 2 and two lots of the number 1, place the stencils on the cooled cakes and carefully cut around the paper numbers with a sharp bread knife.
- Removing excess cake away from the baking paper underneath the cakes.
- Place first layer of the cake numbers on a large square or round cake board.
- Take piping bag with the frosting and pipe a small round underneath each number to make it stick to the board.
- Pipe dollops of frosting on each number, covering the top surface area of each.
- Carefully place second layer of numbers on top.
- Repeat dollops of piping on top of each cake.
- Cut up desired toppings and place on top
- Serve and enjoy!