Chocolate Fortune Cookies
Add a little Chinese New Year spirit to your home with these homemade Chocolate Fortune Cookies.
Made with organic chocolate these resembles a classic sweet chocolate cookie with a delicate texture when opened.
Enjoy any time of the year!
Printable Fortune Cookies Sayings here.
- Pre-heat oven to 190ºC (375ºF). Line a baking tray with a non-stick silicone mat or a sheet of baking paper. Place a mug on your work bench ready to form fortune cookies.
- In a double boiler over low-medium heat, melt dark chocolate drops and butter together until smooth. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Using a stand mixer or a mixing bowl with a hand beater, add eggs and salt to the bowl. Beat for approx. 30 seconds until thick and pale.
- Add sugar to the eggs and beat for a further 30 seconds until sugar has dissolved.
- Pour in melted chocolate mixture and beat until well combined.
- Add flour and cocoa powder, beat until just combined, ensuring not to over-beat.
- Pick up 1 tablespoon worth of the batter and dollop onto lined tray. Using a teaspoon, spread out into a larger circle, about the size of a regular cookie.
- Repeat above method one more time, creating only two circles on lined tray. Working two at a time will allow you to form each fortune cookie before they break.
- Place tray in oven and bake for 6-7 minutes or until the edges begin to brown slightly and the surface of the cookies have just firmed up.
- Remove from oven and working quickly whilst cookies are still hot, slip a fortune paper on to the middle of one cookie and fold over one side, creating a half circle and the fortune enclosed in the middle.
- Place formed cookies into a cupcake/muffin tin this will allow them to hold their shape whilst they cool.
- Repeat until all batter is used up.
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry.