This Christmas, give our twist on the classic pavlova a whirl!
Summer Berries Pavlova, flavoured with our rich cocoa and drizzled generously with melted organic chocolate.
Crisp on the outside with a heavenly marshmallow-like centre, this dessert is perfect for the holidays!
- 8 large egg whites (keep covered in small bowl until room temperature)
- 2 cups white caster sugar ( superfine sugar)
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 600 ml thickened cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup fresh cherries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 3 tbsp Organic Times Dark Chocolate Drops (melted)
- NOTE: before whipping egg whites, ensure the mixing bowl and electric beater/whisk attachment you’re using are both thoroughly clean and completely dry from any grease, dust and water. This will ensure optimal results for meringue.
- Pre-heat oven to 150ºC (302ºF). Line 2 large baking trays with parchment paper and set aside.
- Ensure egg whites are at room temperature before whipping. NOTE: make sure there is zero bits of egg yolk in the egg whites, otherwise the egg whites won’t whip properly.
- Use a large bowl stand mixer attached with a whip. Or a large mixing bowl using a hand electric beater.
- Add egg whites to mixing bowl. Have sugar measured out and ready to go.
- Start whipping on medium speed to gradually aerate egg whites. Whip until egg whites reach soft peaks. Soft peaks = tip will curl and slowly fall back on itself.
- Once soft peaks have been reached, start to add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Wait 30 seconds between each addition of sugar, to ensure the sugar dissolves.
- Once all the sugar has been added, check to see if it has been dissolved by rubbing a small amount of meringue between your fingers. It should feel smooth, if it feels gritty, continue whipping meringue in 2-minute increments until completely dissolved.
- Once sugar is dissolved, add white vinegar and beat meringue for a further 6 minutes or until stiff, glossy peaks. Peaks will hold their shape when lifted.
- Sift cocoa powder over meringue and gently fold through using a spatula until just combined.
- Spoon half the meringue onto one of the baking trays and spread out into a large round, smoothing out the top.
- Spoon remaining half onto second baking tray and spread out into a large round, smoothing out the top.
- Place trays in oven and reduce heat to 120ºC (248ºF).
- Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the outside of the meringues are crisp and firm.
- Turn oven off and leave meringues in the oven to cool completely, approx. 3-4 hours or preferably overnight.
- Once cooled completely, remove from oven.
- Pour cream into a mixing bowl and add vanilla. Use an electric beater and whip cream to firm peaks.
- Spread half the whipped cream onto the base meringue.
- Top with some sliced cherries and strawberries.
- Carefully place second meringue on top of the base layer.
- Spread over remaining cream.
- Top with fresh cherries and strawberries.
- Drizzle over melted chocolate.
- Serve and enjoy! Or store in a large airtight container, refrigerated, for 2-3 days. You may also store away baked meringues and assemble the topping before serving on the day.