Bring enjoyment and good memories to those you love, and celebrate our favourite C word – CHOCOLATE – with this decadent and delicious Chocolate Tart.
A little bit of effort but well worth it.
- 220 grams Organic Times Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Organic Times Icing Sugar (sifted)
- 30 grams Organic Times Cocoa Powder (sifted)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 40 grams Organic Times Almond Meal (Blanched)
- 360 grams plain all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a large mixing bowl with a hand beater, cream softened butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together on medium speed until creamy.
- Add egg yolks, beat until well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl when necessary.
- Add remaining dry ingredients and beat until it forms a dough then stop the beater.
- Press the dough into an even flat square and wrap up in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 170ºC (338ºC). Grease a 25cm round tart tin. Set aside.
- Once the dough is firm, prepare a lightly floured work surface and rolling pin.
- Roll out dough into a large circle, about 3mm in thickness. Gently roll up the dough over the rolling pin and then roll it out over prepared tart tin. Using a small sharp knife to trim the top edges.
- Gently press dough into greased tin to line the base and sides. Refrigerate tart shell for a further 10 minutes to firm up.
- Cut out a large circle of baking paper, a little bigger than the tart tin and crumble it up into a ball. Open it out then flatten it. Line the chilled tart shell with the baking paper. Fill the paper with uncooked rice, uncooked lentils or baking weights.
- Bake tart shell for 17-20 minutes or until slightly darkened around the edges.
- Remove tart from oven and cool in pan for 10 minutes or until it’s at room temperature.
- Remove weights and paper from tart shell. Set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 180ºC (356ºC).
- In a double boiler over low-medium heat, melt chocolate drops, cocoa and butter together until smooth.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using a large mixing bowl with a hand beater, add eggs and sugar.
- Whisk eggs with sugar on medium speed for 3-5 minutes or until thick, pale and creamy.
- Pour chocolate mixture into whisked eggs and gently fold until just combined. Sift over flour and gently fold through until well combined.
- Pour chocolate filling into tart shell.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until just set with a slight wobble in the middle.
- Let the tart cool to room temperature before gently removing from tin.
- Serve after baking or set in the refrigerator to chill overnight.