Making your own gingerbread house is no easy feat. but the joy that comes with knowing you and your loved ones have completed this together is worth the effort. Not to mention the scent of Christmas everytime you walk in the room from the spices. Make this a family tradition you can enjoy together every Christmas.
Use your own template or find some on the internet.
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- 1 cup Organic Times Salted Butter
- 1 cup Organic Times Rapadura Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Organic Times Blackstrap Molasses
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, ginger, ground cloves and baking powder, mix together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached or a large mixing bowl using a hand beater, add softened butter and sugar, beat until well combined.
- Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the molasses, golden syrup and vinegar. Beat until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- On slow speed, add half the dry mixture, beating until just combined. Add remaining flour and beat until a soft dough is formed.
- Using your hands, form into a large round piece of dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (374ºC). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove dough and cut in half. Wrap one of the halves back in the plastic wrap and store in the freezer for later use.
- Roll other dough half out on a lightly floured surface to approx. 3mm-4mm in thickness.
- Using your template, cut out shapes and place on lined trays.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden all over.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add icing sugar, egg white and lemon juice.
- Using a hand beater or whisk, beat together until well combined and smooth.