Gingerbread Men Cookies
Baking your own Christmas gifts for family and friends is not only rewarding and affordable, it gives the ones you love something more unique and special.
Over the next few weeks in the lead up to Christmas, we are sharing DIY Christmas Gift recipes featuring our premium organic pantry ingredients.
So get your apron on, the Christmas carols going and try your hand at these tasty cute Ginger Men!
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- 1 cup Organic Times Salted Butter (softened to room temperature )
- 1 cup Organic Times Rapadura Sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Organic Times Blackstrap Molasses
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 200 grams Organic Times Dark Chocolate Drops
- Red and green fondant
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, ginger, ground cloves and baking powder, mix together and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attached or a large mixing bowl using a hand beater, add softened butter and sugar, beat until well combined.
- Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy.
- Pour in the molasses, golden syrup and vinegar. Beat until well combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- On slow speed, add half the dry mixture, beating until just combined. Add remaining flour and beat until a soft dough is formed.
- Using your hands, form into a large round piece of dough. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (374ºC). Line a large baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- Remove dough and cut in half. Wrap one of the halves back in the plastic wrap and store in the freezer for later use.
- Roll other dough half out on a lightly floured surface to approx. 3mm-4mm in thickness.
- Using a medium sized gingerbread cookie cutter, cut out shapes and place on lined tray.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden all over.
- Remove and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely before decorating.
- Roll out a small amount of green fondant to 2mm thick. Using a small leaf cutter, cut out shapes to match the amount of gingerbread men you have baked.
- Using the red fondant, roll out tiny red balls for the holly leaf. Set aside.
- Put chocolate drops in a heat-proof bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted and smooth.
- Dip gingerbread men into melted chocolate, right up to his arms.
- Before the chocolate is set, add the green holly leaf and red balls. Place back on cooling rack or a tray and dry until set.
- Wrap them up as gifts or serve and enjoy.