Greek Christmas Cookies (Kourabiethes)
Celebrate the festive season with these amazing traditional Greek almond butter biscuits also known as Kourabiedes.
Show casing our organic icing sugar, these delicious treats offer the perfect balance of sweetness, while also being fluffy, crunchy and buttery.
Another great DIY Christmas gift idea, this super easy recipe once made, will pack beautifully in a gift box or super cute tin, lined with tissue paper.
- 250 grams Organic Times Salted Butter (softened)
- 1 cup Organic Times Icing Sugar (sifted)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon rind (finely grated)
- 1 egg ( room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp Organic Times Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Organic Times Almond Meal (Blanched)
- 60 grams slivered almonds
- Organic Times Icing Sugar (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 160ºC (320ºF). Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a large mixing bowl with a hand beater, beat butter, 1 cup icing sugar, vanilla and lemon rind until light and creamy.
- Add egg and beat until well combined and smooth.
- Sift over flour and baking powder. Add almond meal and slivered almonds. Beat slowly until mixture forms a dough.
- Measure out a tablespoon of dough and roll out into an 8cm length sausage. Bend the dough to form a crescent shape. Place on prepared trays, leaving enough room between each for spreading. Repeat this method with remaining dough.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove and cool biscuits of tray for 5 minutes or until firm.
- Put remaining icing sugar into a small bowl. Coat each warm biscuit in icing sugar, one at a time.
- Place on cooling racks to cool completely.