Hazelnut Yule Log
Our festive Hazelnut Yule Log is full of indulgent texture and taste.
Fluffy sponge and light & airy whipped cream, all wrapped up in luscious, decadent chocolate ganache and topped with crunchy hazelnuts.
Add Baileys Irish Cream for a grown-up dessert or leave it out for everyone in the family to enjoy!
- 100g Organic Times Organic Self-Raising Flour
- 50g Organic Times Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp milk
- 100g Organic Times Dark Chocolate Drops
- 150ml thickened double cream
- 300ml thickened cream double cream
- 5 tbsp Baileys ((optional))
- 2 tbsp Organic Times Icing Sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180ºC fan forced and line a 25cm × 38cm rectangle baking tin with baking paper, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa and cinnamon, mix to combine.
- Separate the eggs into two separate large mixing bowls.
- Whisk the yolks with 1/2 (50g) caster sugar for 5 minutes until thickened and pale in colour. Set aside.
- Using an electric hand beater, whisk the egg whites, sprinkling in the remaining 50g sugar with a pinch of salt, until soft peaks and glossy.
- With a large metal spoon, add a 1/3 of the whisked egg whites to the yolk mixture, gently folding to combine, followed by a 1/3 of the flour mixture. Repeat this same process 2 more times, folding until everything is evenly combined.
- Drizzle over the milk and gently fold through.
- Pour the batter into the lined baking tin and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove from oven and turn out the sponge onto a piece of baking paper and peel off the old piece of baking paper.
- Carefully and slowly roll the sponge up using the paper underneath, so the baking paper is amongst the layers. Set aside to cool completely.
- Place the dark chocolate into medium sized mixing bowl.
- Pour the cream into a small pot and heat until just simmering. Remove from heat.
- Pour cream over the chopped chocolate and gently stir until fully combined. Place in the refrigerator to set for 20 minutes or until spreadable.
- Pour the cream into a large mixing bowl along with the baileys (if using) and icing sugar Take an electric hand beater and whip the cream until just holding soft peaks.
- Unfold the swiss roll and spread the cream over the cooled sponge, leaving 2cm clear at the shorter ends of the cake.
- Scatter with chopped chocolate hazelnuts, roll the cake into a tight spiral and carefully transfer to a serving plate.
- Spread the ganache over the cake evenly. Sprinkle over extra chopped hazelnuts to decorate.
- Place into the refrigerator to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!