Valentine’s Day Shortbread
Find your way into a loved-one’s heart by making these delicious Valentine’s Day Shortbread Biscuits!
This recipe created by Wholesome Patisserie offers the perfect crumbly heart-shaped shortbread filled with strawberry jam and dusted with organic icing sugar, it is just the sweet you need for your sweetheart!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) Organic Times Icing Sugar
- 185 grams Organic Times Unsalted Butter ( chopped coarsely)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp iced water
- extra Organic Times Icing Sugar (for dusting)
- Store-bought strawberry jam (for the filling)
- 3.5”inch serrated edge round cookie cutter
- 2”inch love heart cookie cutter
- In a high-speed food processor, add flour, icing sugar and chopped butter. Process until crumbly.
- With processor still running, add egg yolk through the shoot and enough of the iced water until mixture forms a dough.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured work surface. gently knead until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half and roll out one half on until 2-3mm thick. Add more flour to the surface if dough begins to stick.
- Take the round cookie cutter and cut out the bases for the shortbreads. Place each on a large flat baking tray. Re-rolling excess dough until used up. Set tray aside.
- Roll out remaining half of dough to 2-3mm thick. Using the same around cookie cutter, cut out round of the tops. Taking the heart cutter, carefully cut out the middle of the round to create an open love heart shape. Place on another large flat baking tray. Re-rolling excess dough until used up. Ensuring there is enough tops for the bases for the shortbreads.
- Place tray with the tops and the tray with the bases both in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F) whilst dough chills.
- Remove trays from refrigerator and bake for 7-10 minutes until just starting to turn very lightly golden around the edges. Ensuring they do not burn.
- Remove trays from oven and cool on tray for 5 minutes.
- Transfer shortbreads carefully onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, spread approx. 1 tablespoon of the strawberry jam over the bases, leaving a small gap from the edges.
- Dust icing sugar over the tops.
- Gently place the tops over the bases, slightly sandwiching them together. Serve and enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container, in the pantry or refrigerated, for 2-4 days.