Wagon Wheel Slice
Did you grow up on Wagon Wheels? What part was your favourite? The marshmallow layer, the chocolate coating or pulling the 2 halves apart and devouring them separately…?
Memories of the visit to the local milk bar after school come flooding back as we remake this Aussie icon. Another classic recipe made with wholesome ingredients, minus the additives and preservatives of the store-bought treat.
Only 7 ingredients and easy-peasy to make. Save this one to make this school holidays with or without the kids.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Grease a 3cm-deep, medium size rectangular slice pan.
- Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm from edge on all sides.
- Using an electric mixer, beat 200g butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift flours over butter mixture. Stir until dough comes together.
- Press mixture into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Spread warm base with jam.
- Cover with marshmallows, flat side facing down.
- Bake for 2 minutes or until marshmallow has slightly melted.
- Remove from oven. Cool in tin.
- Combine chocolate and remaining butter in small saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring until melted, then pour over marshmallows.
- Tap pan to level surface.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set.
- Stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before cutting into pieces and serving.